My Dog Ate A Multivitamin Pill

Being curious creatures dogs might ingest your vitamins which might be a problem. Multivitamins can be harmful to your dog when ingested in larger amounts. Consuming a human vitamin can give your dog an excess of that vitamin which may not be good for the dog.

If your dog has eaten vitamin D supplements, medications or rat/mouse poison, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline, a 24/7 animal poison control center, at 1-800-213-6680 immediately. The type of treatment needed depends upon the amount ingested and time since ingestion.

What happens if a dog eats a multivitamin?

Among these ingredients, iron and vitamins A and D may cause significant systemic signs. Acute ingestion of other listed ingredients in companion animals can result in self-limiting GI upset (eg, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, lethargy). However, toxicity is typically rare in pets.

Vitamins That Are Toxic to Pets

Murphy says one of the most serious situations involves prenatal vitamins, which are high in iron and can cause iron toxicity in pets. If your dog or cat happens to knock over a bottle of prenatal vitamins and swallows a bunch before you can intervene, you need to call your vet immediately.

Similarly, vitamin D supplements are fairly serious because too much vitamin D can increase levels of calcium and phosphorus, which can eventually lead to permanent problems with the heart and kidneys, among other organs, Murphy says.

Many other vitamins and supplements—like fiber supplements and many multivitamins—are less serious, Murphy says, but if consumed in large enough amounts, any human-grade vitamin may represent a threat to a pet’s health.

Whenever you see your pet ingest a vitamin or other human supplement, make sure to keep the vitamin bottle on hand in case you have to visit your vet or an emergency animal hospital. The doctor will be able to treat your pet more efficiently with information about dosage and ingredients.

What to Do If Dog Ate Multivitamin

The dog may require different treatments depending on the poisoning. He may need hydration followed by medication, fluids, and antibiotics.

Prenatal vitamins are the most dangerous for dogs. These are high in iron and can lead to iron toxicity. Likewise, vitamin D supplements can increase calcium and phosphorus levels. These increased levels can lead to permanent heart and kidney problems. Thus, Vitamin D supplements are equally dangerous too.

However, some other vitamins and supplements like fiber are less serious. It is, thus, important to know which multivitamin has your dog ingested before you visit a vet.

To avoid any case of vitamin poisoning, the following steps should be taken.

  • Do not feed any human vitamin supplement to your dog.
  • All multivitamins should be kept at a height which is not accessible to your dog.
  • The top of the bottles should always be closed to prevent any spilling.
  • Always know the names and strength of all your vitamins.
  • The above is applicable to all the other medications too.
  • Do not try and induce vomiting on your own.
  • Take your dog to the vet immediately.
  • Before you decide a supplement plan for your dog, it should always be supervised by your vet. Supplements can upset the nutritional balance in dogs in some cases. Proper research is always recommended. See what your dog really needs and check the ingredients.

    A dog only needs a vitamin supplement when he has been diagnosed with a deficiency. A dog who is on a homemade diet or eats less can also be in need of supplements.

    Dogs who consume a good well-balanced diet will not need multivitamins. All the dog food which are available in the market provide good nutrition. Multivitamins can cause more harm than good in dogs who eat a proper well-balanced diet.

    Multivitamins can even cause toxicity in the body. It is important to do thorough research before setting your dog up on a multivitamin. And no, your dog can not supplement on human multivitamins. Those are poisonous for your little pooch.

    Popular Pick: Dr. Marty ProPower Plus Supplement


    What happens if my dog ate my multivitamin?

    Symptoms that may be seen in vitamin poisoning are relatively severe, ranging from muscle tremors and seizures (seen with vitamin D), abdominal swelling and shock (as found with iron toxicity), poor haircoat and paralysis (rarely seen but due to vitamin A), and convulsions accompanied by drowsiness (evident with …

    Will one multivitamin hurt a dog?

    While you may think that your multivitamins pose little poisoning risk to your dog, they can be poisonous when ingested in larger amounts. There are 4 potentially toxic ingredients commonly found within multivitamins including xylitol, vitamin D, iron, and calcium.

    Can dogs eat human multi vitamins?

    You should never give your dog human vitamins, or even over-the-counter dog vitamins or supplements. Be sure to follow your vet’s directions on how much and how often to give the pills, treats or capsules prescribed to you.