My Dog Ate A Scrunchie What Do I Do

If the object isn’t sharp, feed your pet a small meal first, and then induce vomiting. The food helps cushion the object and protect the tummy, and also pets vomit more easily if the stomach is full. If he doesn’t vomit, you’ll need to see a veterinarian. For sharp objects go to the vet immediately.

If your dog has eaten a scrunchie, the first thing to do is to make sure he hasn’t swallowed it. If he’s already swallowed the scrunchie, tell your vet. You’ll need to monitor him carefully over the next 24 hours. If you see the scrunchie protruding from your dog’s bottom, don’t try and remove it yourself.

What happens if your dog eats a scrunchie (hair tie)?

If your dog manages to get ahold of a scrunchy and eats it, you need to monitor your dog closely. Scrunchies can cause serious issues such as choking or blockages.

Even though they are made of relatively soft material, they pose the risk of getting tangled or wedged in your dog’s digestive system. In extreme situations, your dog may need surgery to remove the scrunchie if it does not pass it on its own.

Dogs have remarkable digestive systems. They can process items that we can not. Scrunchies are made of soft material.

As long as they do not become tangled or trapped, your dog will be able to pass a scrunchie. If your dog has eaten a scrunchie, it is important to monitor its bowel movements to ensure that the foreign object has moved through their system.

Scrunchies are also relatively small, meaning that they are easier to pass. In most cases, your dog will either pass or vomit up a scrunchie. However, if your dog eats multiple scrunchies, because of their size and elasticity, your dog will likely not be able to pass them. Scrunchies can become entangled and end up creating a much larger blockage.

How Can You Tell If Your Dog Ate A Scrunchie?

The best way to tell if your dog ate a scrunchie is to see your dog eat it. Of course, you won’t be this lucky most of the time. Even though they seem aloof, dogs are good at being sneaky. Especially to get things they know they shouldn’t have.

If you’re missing a scrunchie and your dog was the only one around, then look for the missing scrunchie. If you can’t find it, and your dog is acting abnormally in any way, you need to call your vet right away.

If they are acting normal, then chances are they either swallowed it or spit it out. Until you can locate the missing scrunchie, you’ll need to monitor your dog as if they did eat it but are so far getting lucky.

Should I Induce Vomiting, Withhold Food, Or Give Extra Water To My Dog That Swallowed a Scrunchie?

These are questions that will vary on a case by case scenario. For instance, inducing vomiting on a dog that ate a scrunchie with a metal clip could cause more harm from the clip coming up than if you let it pass. Of course, there may be cases where that risk is reversed.

Withholding food or encouraging your dog to drink more water will also depend on your exact situation.

For these specific questions, you should call your vet, who knows your dog well, and ask for their advice.


Will fabric break down in a dog’s stomach?

The issue with animals eating fabric is that textiles are not able to be broken down and passed through the digestive system like a stick. Depending on the size of your dog and the size of the sock, they may be able to vomit it back up or eventually pass it through their excretions.

How long does it take for a dog to pass a wrapper?

A: “It can take upwards of 24 to 48 hours for a dog to pass a candy wrapper, if they are going to pass it.” Q: Are candy wrappers toxic? A: “The wrapper itself is not toxic. Chocolate and sugar-free candy are toxic to pets.”

Can dogs choke on scrunchies?

#9 – Hair Ties

Hair ties are a dangerous item to leave around dogs, because they can easily damage the digestive tract or even choke your pup.

What to do if a dog swallows a string?

You will need to take your dog to the vet immediately to have them sedated so the object can be removed safely. If you can see thread, string, or another form of cord hanging from the dog’s mouth, do not pull it or cut it. Doing so may cause injury to the throat or esophagus, among other sensitive structures.