My Dog Ate A Vitamin

Vitamin D is essential to maintain healthy teeth, bones and muscles; it also has an important role in regulating calcium in the body. Vitamin D is absorbed from the diet and during the summer the body creates vitamin D from direct sunlight on the skin. Vitamin D is promoted as a supplement, particularly during winter months to maintain good health and for protection against various diseases.

Many vitamin D supplements are available and they vary hugely in dose from 10 micrograms (or 400 International Units [IU]) to 1.25 milligrams (or 50,000 IU). Most importantly the bottle can contain several hundred capsules or tablets. Accidentally eating a few vitamin D tablets is unlikely to be a problem for dogs and cats, but if a pet gains access to a pot containing a large number of tablets they are at risk of vitamin D poisoning.

What happens if your dog eats a vitamin?

Causes of Vitamin Poisoning in Dogs

  • Vitamin poisoning can result as a chronic event due to over-supplementation as vitamins are used for a period of several weeks
  • Acute poisoning happens when a pet ingests a very large amount of vitamins
  • A multivitamin, supplementation of a specific vitamin, or prenatal vitamins are examples of sources of toxicity
  • Xylitol found in vitamins can stimulate insulin release
  • Vitamin D can affect the central nervous system and the heart
  • Iron can cause kidney failure
  • Vitamin A poisoning is rare but can happen
  • Symptoms of Vitamin Poisoning in Dogs

    Because the consequences of vitamins poisoning can be so variable, the list of symptoms is extensive.

    Vitamin D

  • Vomiting (sometimes with blood)
  • Appetite loss
  • Increase in thirst and urine production
  • Blood in feces
  • Constipation
  • Weakness
  • Depression
  • Drooling
  • Abdominal pain
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • Iron

    With iron toxicity there are stages of unwellness, followed by a period of improvement which can then move into liver failure.

  • Fever
  • Fatigue
  • Shock
  • Rapid heart beat
  • Irritated mucosa
  • Agitation
  • Abdominal swelling
  • Collapse
  • Vitamin A

  • Lameness
  • Nausea
  • Peeling skin
  • Constipation
  • General malaise
  • Spine or joint stiffness
  • Tremors and convulsions
  • Paralysis
  • Death
  • Xylitol (sugar substitute) in vitamins

  • Restlessness
  • Weakness
  • Drowsiness
  • Tremors and convulsions
  • Diarrhea
  • Blood in stool
  • Rapid heart beat
  • Low blood pressure
  • Loss of control of bodily movements
  • Seizure and collapse can occur with onset of hypoglycemia
  • Treatment of Vitamin Poisoning in Dogs

    Treatment will depend on the severity of the poisoning but chances are your dog will need to be admitted to the hospital to receive intravenous therapy. The intravenous will provide for the following needs.

  • Hydration
  • Medication for seizures
  • Fluids to aid in the excretion of the vitamins
  • Antibiotics if necessary
  • Medication to relieve gastric irritation
  • The veterinarian may need to induce vomiting and use active charcoal (with some cases of vitamin D poisoning), perform gastric lavage, or administer chelation therapy (to assist in the removal of iron if iron toxicity is present). Your dog’s organ function will be carefully monitored the entire time to ensure that all systems are returning to normal.

    Worried about the cost of Vitamins Poisoning treatment?

    Pet Insurance covers the cost of many common pet health conditions. Prepare for the unexpected by getting a quote from top pet insurance providers.


    What happens if my dog eats one of my vitamins?

    Symptoms that may be seen in vitamin poisoning are relatively severe, ranging from muscle tremors and seizures (seen with vitamin D), abdominal swelling and shock (as found with iron toxicity), poor haircoat and paralysis (rarely seen but due to vitamin A), and convulsions accompanied by drowsiness (evident with …

    Can one vitamin D pill hurt a dog?

    While you may think that your multivitamins pose little poisoning risk to your dog, they can be poisonous when ingested in larger amounts. There are 4 potentially toxic ingredients commonly found within multivitamins including xylitol, vitamin D, iron, and calcium.

    Can a dog overdose on vitamins?

    Accidentally eating a few vitamin D tablets is unlikely to be a problem for dogs and cats, but if a pet gains access to a pot containing a large number of tablets they are at risk of vitamin D poisoning.