My Dog Ate Biodegradable Packing Peanuts

It doesn’t matter how careful you are when unpacking boxes and trying to make sure that your dog doesn’t get any of the packing peanuts or styrofoam in the mouth.

If you’ve got a dog, then you’ve probably experienced the panic that comes with seeing your dog gulp down a piece of styrofoam.

If you think your dog ate styrofoam, then you should immediately contact your veterinarian or local animal hospital.

Styrofoam and packing peanuts are toxic to dogs and your doggo needs immediate medical attention if he’s managed to swallow some of this packing plastic.

The originals are potentially very dangerous when ingested; the biodegradable ones are less dangerous but can still cause choking, bowel obstruction, or other problems. Call your vet immediately if your dog has eaten either kind, or call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

What are Dissolvable Packing Peanuts?

Dissolvable packing peanuts may look like the traditional packing peanuts made from Styrofoam; however, they’re much different. Dissolvable packing peanuts were created as a way to make packing peanuts more eco-friendly.

Dissolvable packing peanuts are made from naturally derived starches, such as wheat and cornstarch. They’re made entirely from plants and are biodegradable; the peanuts dissolve in water. Dissolvable packing peanuts then can’t be a mess that blows in the air, across the water, or on land.

But what happens if a dog eats dissolvable packing peanuts?

The good news is that dissolvable packing peanuts are safe for dogs. While these are not meant to be eaten, dissolvable packing peanuts are not toxic. However, they can make a dog sick.

In rare instances, it’s possible the dissolvable packing peanuts could cause an intestinal blockage in a dog.

Is Styrofoam Toxic For Dogs?

My Dog Ate Biodegradable Packing Peanuts

The short answer is that most Styrofoam doesn’t contain chemicals that are outright toxic to dogs. But that doesn’t mean it’s not dangerous. The outcome will largely depend on how much was eaten, and your pup’s weight. Some dogs may pass Styrofoam with no concern, but others may not respond the same way.

Styrofoam was originally a trademarked name for a type of insulation used in construction. It’s now commonly used to describe products made of the same type of plastic called polystyrene. Polystyrene or Styrofoam plastic products include packing peanuts, takeaway coffee cups, meat trays, bean bag beads, packaging, food containers, and the filling of some soft toys.

While the chemicals in Styrofoam products may cause mild irritation to the mouth and gut, it is otherwise unlikely to have any major toxic effects. The real danger is that they cannot be digested. This means it carries a risk of causing a blockage in your dog’s gut (intestinal obstruction). It is also a potential choking hazard.

A small amount of polystyrene is usually not a cause for concern. Especially if chewed up into small pieces or eaten by a large breed dog. These pieces may simply pass through the gut with no major concerns. However, it’s always best to seek professional veterinary advice if your dog ingested Styrofoam.

Why Is Styrofoam So Bad For Dogs?

Since styrofoam is pretty much everywhere, then you might be wondering what the big deal is. Especially if it’s just a small piece that your pupper ate.

But here’s the thing – styrofoam isn’s something harmless because it is a type of plastic.

And guess what? Dogs can’t digest plastics.

Plus, if the styrofoam or packing peanut is large enough, it can block your dogs throat and become a choking hazard.

As you can see, this stuff is definitely bad news for dogs everywhere.


Can dogs eat biodegradable packing peanuts?

Being biodegradable and non-toxic, they are also safe for humans and pets if ingested accidentally.

Are dissolving packing peanuts poisonous to dogs?

If it softens and dissolves, then it’s biodegradable. This type will likely pass on it’s own, especially if she ate only one. I would monitor her for signs of blockage, such as vomiting, lethargy, and anorexia. If you see any of those signs, she needs to go into the vet right away.

Are biodegradable packing peanuts toxic?

Are biodegradable packing peanuts edible? They are safe to ingest; however, it is not recommended that humans or pets consume them. The peanuts are manufactured in non-food safe conditions, and during the process, the nutritional value is removed.

Are dissolving packing peanuts toxic?

Since dissolvable packing peanuts are made of corn or wheat starch, they aren’t toxic to either you or your pet. So if your dog accidentally eats one, there isn’t anything much to worry about. However, they are not manufactured in food-safe conditions and have no nutritional value.