My Dog Ate Irish Spring Soap

Here at East Valley Animal Hospital in Gilbert, we’ve seen dogs consume all kinds of toxins. We’re prepared for any kind of emergency, but of course prevention is always the best medicine. Part of preventing such emergencies is educating you. Here is what to do if your dog eats soap.

Signs to Watch For

If you think your dog ate soap, immediately take the soap away from them, flush their mouth out with water and contact your veterinarian. They may suggest monitoring them for the next few hours, or they may recommend bringing them to the clinic right away if they exhibit any abnormal behavior.

Troubling Symptoms in Dogs Who Have Eaten Soap

Even though bar soap is unlikely to cause your dog significant problems, atypical reactions are always possible. Accordingly, you’ll want to be sure to watch your dog closely and seek veterinary attention if he displays any of the signs or symptoms below:

As mentioned earlier, your dog will likely experience some intestinal issues after eating a bar of soap. That’s usually not a big deal if the problems go away within a few hours, but if your dog is still suffering symptoms 24 hours later, go ahead and cruise on over to the vet.

Why Do Dogs Like to Eat Irish Spring Soap?

Dogs and pets, in general, are very snoopy about their surroundings. They want to touch, sniff, gnaw at and inquire about almost anything lying around them. If something smells or looks good to them, edible or not, they will likely see it as a treat.

The bright color of the packaging and appealing fragrance of the soap might attract your dog to it. It can also remind them of snacks, and they will attempt to help themselves to some. Older dogs will likely stop after one or two licks, but teething puppies may continue to gnaw at the bar of soap for some relief.

A condition called pica, which is an abnormal craving for inedible substances, is common among dogs. Although, with not much evidence to prove complete certainty, pica is assumed to stem from an unbalanced diet, frustration, anxiety, or a mere bad habit. Keeping scented and colorful soap like Irish spring soap away from your dog and stopping them when they attempt to eat it is a good way to control the habit.

My Dog Ate Soap – What Should I Do?

  • Remove any remaining soap from your dog’s reach.
  • If you are able to do so safely, then remove any soap that remains in their mouth and rinse their mouth with cool water. (Don’t do this if there is a risk that your dog may bite).
  • Call your veterinary clinic straight away for advice. If your clinic isn’t open, the Pet Poison Helpline or an emergency clinic will be able to give you advice.
  • Tell your veterinarian what your dog has eaten, when, how much they have eaten and the ingredients if you have them. Letting your veterinarian know a rough weight for your dog will help too.
  • Follow the instructions you are given. This may be to monitor your dog, or it may be to visit the clinic.
  • FAQ

    What happens if dogs eat soap?

    If your dog managed to eat a large chunk of a soap bar, or indeed, swallow it whole, the bar could get stuck in your dog’s stomach or intestines and cause a blockage. The symptoms to watch for here include vomiting, anorexia, lethargy, and either diarrhea or a lack of stools.

    Is Irish Spring soap toxic if swallowed?

    Soaps not intended to clean the body are poisonous if ingested. Swallowing or inhaling these highly toxic products can result in life threatening symptoms. If someone you know is experiencing soap poisoning, immediately call 911 or the National Capital Poison Center (NCPC) at 800-222-1222.

    What if my dog drank soapy water?

    When ingested in small amounts, these chemicals can cause GI upset in a pet, such as excessive drooling, vomiting or diarrhea. Detergent poisoning in dogs is the result of a dog ingesting detergent, or other household cleaners, at a quantity where it becomes toxic.

    Is dish soap toxic to dogs if ingested?

    The good news is that most of the time, a dog that ate a little bit of hand soap, dish soap, or body soap will be just fine. While we go into the steps you’ll want to take in detail, we do recommend you contact your own vet immediately, or your local animal poison control hotline.