My Dog Ate Memory Foam

What is Couch Foam Made Of?

The foam in your couch is made with chemicals that can be very dangerous. The foam is called polyurethane and contains polyol, which is a type of alcohol. It also contains diisocyanate, which is a petroleum product. These products can be toxic if swallowed.

However, there’s another serious problem for dogs that ingest this foam. If the dog eats enough of the foam, there’s a chance he could develop an intestinal obstruction. This is because the foam can become compacted in the digestive tract, and then cause a blockage. This is a very serious medical condition.

What to Do If Your Dog Ate Memory Foam

Call your vet immediately. Do not attempt any at-home treatment without your vet’s explicit instructions. Even if you think inducing vomiting is the right thing to do, wait for their direction.

If your dog ate the memory foam from their mattress, they might have also swallowed the zipper from the mattress cover. A sharp metallic object can cause even more damage coming up through their esophagus than it caused coming down.

Try to determine how much memory foam your dog ingested. This helps to determine how severe their potential reaction might be and how urgently they require treatment.

Heed your veterinarian’s advice and do not make any of your own decisions, especially if you are a new or inexperienced pet owner.

Why is Memory Foam Dangerous For Dogs to Ingest?

Many dog beds advertise being made with a memory foam material, which is supposed to be more comfortable and help dogs with joint pains.

There are a variety of different materials that can be used to make memory foam mattresses. The most popular component is polyurethane; it accounts for most memory foam mattresses, especially the cheaper ones.

It is made with highly reactive components and is a known carcinogen. Consuming polyurethane can cause skin problems and organ damage.

Memory foam is inherently flammable, so most mattresses are treated with fire-retardant chemicals prior to distribution. These chemicals can become neurotoxins if ingested.

Memory foam mattresses also have the potential of containing dust mites, allergens, and bacteria. These can all harm your dog if they ingest too much.

To top it off, memory foam can be a choking hazard or potentially cause an internal blockage if your dog swallows too much.

There are more organic products on the market now more than ever. Organic dog beds are rising in popularity because owners are more aware of the negative side effects of having toxic materials readily available around their pets.

If you are worried about your dog eating their memory foam mattress, consider dog beds made of cotton, recycled plastics, or natural latex compounds.

It is never great when your dog eats something they shouldn’t, but if your dog has a habit of chewing things, make it a point to limit the potentially harmful objects they have access to.


Is memory foam toxic to dogs?

Lose your memory

Often purchased for elderly dogs to ensure maximum orthopaedic support, memory foam beds are easily one of the most toxic beds available. The problem isn’t just what’s in them but also how it reacts with the body.

What do I do if my dog eats memory foam?

If you suspect or know that your pet has ingested some polyurethane foam, contact your vet immediately. Remove food for at least 6 hours. Remove water for at least 3 hours. If no signs develop, water and food can be reintroduced but close monitoring for vomiting must be carried out over the next 24 hours.

What happens if my dog eats foam bedding?

If she ate a significant amount of her bedding, it’s definitely possible that she could have an intestinal obstruction. Normally, signs of an obstruction would include vomiting, lethargy, not eating, and not having bowel movements.

What happens if you eat memory foam?

Toxic chemicals in memory foam

Some memory foam mattresses contain toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde, benzene, and naphthalene. Memory foam may contain isocyanates, which, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, can cause irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and skin.