My Dog Ate Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

If you want to share cookies with your dog, read this guide – can dogs eat oatmeal cookies. It will tell you what you need to know.

It might seem like a harmless treat, but there are a few things you should know before you let your dog eat oatmeal cookies – especially oatmeal raisin cookies. Read this guide before you share human food like this with your pet, even a small amount.

For ultimate pet safety, I recommend consulting with your vet about all the questions you have about your dog eating oatmeal cookies.

FYI – This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Table Of Contents

Yes, dogs can safely eat plain oatmeal cookies – but there is a lot you need to know before you allow Fido to eat an entire bag of cookies.

There is nothing toxic to dogs in plain oatmeal cookies. You still need to be very cautious with how much oatmeal and brown sugar you allow your pet to eat.

You see, oatmeal cookies are still very high in both sugar and carbs – especially the packaged cookies that are made for humans. When dogs eat too much sugar, it could cause weight gain or even obesity. There aren’t any health benefits of oatmeal cookies for dogs.

Obese dogs are at a higher risk of health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, and arthritis.

Even though a small bit of a plain oatmeal cookie might not hurt your dog, it’s best only to feed them treats that are made specifically for dogs.

If your dog has eaten oatmeal cookies containing chocolate or raisins and you notice any of the following symptoms developing and getting worse, be sure to call your vet: Vomiting. Restlessness. Loss of appetite.

How many dogs die from eating raisins?

From April 2003 to April 2004, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center got 140 calls about dogs that had eaten varying amounts of raisins or grapes. More than 50 of those dogs developed “clinical signs” ranging from vomiting to kidney failure. Seven of the dogs died.

Will a few raisins hurt my dog?

The simple answer is that yes, both raisins and grapes have the potential to be poisonous to dogs. They can be so toxic that a dog might only need to eat a few to suffer from fatal kidney failure as a result of poisoning. There is no doubt about it, dogs can and do die after eating raisins and grapes.

Can a raisin cookie kill a dog?

The short answer is a definite yes… but only to some dogs. There is strong evidence that raisin or grape ingestion in dogs (and possibly some other species, including cats and ferrets) can cause catastrophic kidney failure.


Should I worry if my dog ate a raisin?

If your dog has eaten any amount of raisins or grapes, you should go to a veterinarian or animal hospital immediately, even if you do not see any symptoms. Failure to do so can quickly lead to kidney failure, and can even be fatal.

What should I give my dog if he ate a raisin?

What to Do if Your Dog Ate Raisins. Raisin or grape ingestion in dogs should be treated as a medical emergency. Take your pet to the nearest veterinary facility or call the animal poison center for immediate assistance. Don’t induce vomiting except if you have been instructed by your vet to do so.

How long does raisin toxicity last in dogs?

With large ingestions or in cases in which vomiting and/or diarrhea has spontaneously developed within 12 hours of ingestion of grapes or raisins, administration of aggressive intravenous fluid diuresis for a minimum of 48 hours is recommended.

Can dogs have oatmeal raisin?

Avoid Raisins

While raisins may be a great addition for us, never put raisins or grapes into a dog’s oatmeal cookie. While there’s no known reason, grapes are extremely toxic to dogs.