My Dog Ate One Grape

grapes are poisonous to dogsGrapes are one of nature’s little treats – literally. They’re sweet, tart, refreshing, satisfyingly fleshy, and versatile all at the same time!

Unfortunately, while these plump little fruits are wonderful on their own or as an addition to a salad or sangria for humans, they’re poisonous to dogs. No, we’re not kidding. The toxicity of fresh and dried grapes (raisins) to dogs has been well documented for years now. It doesn’t matter whether the grapes they’ve had are green, red, or purple, or whether they’re seedless, seed-in, skinless, or skin-on – all grapes in all forms are bad for dogs. But just because grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs doesn’t mean your dog is going to avoid them. Dogs are curious animals who will get into all sorts of foods (and non-foods) that they shouldn’t eat. With that in mind, what should you do if Fido does decide to act like a Roman emperor and eat a bushel of grapes? We’re going to answer this question and more in this short article on how to treat dogs for grape poisoning below.

What happens if a dog eats one grape?

What Are the Symptoms of Grape Poisoning in Dogs

dog next to some grapesIt is important to note that there is no well-established toxic dose of grapes for dogs. A dog’s size and breed will affect how it reacts to the amount of grapes he ingests. Additionally, some scientists believe that a dog’s sensitivity to grapes or raisins is an individual characteristic – this would explain why some dogs can eat a handful of grapes without succumbing to poisoning while others are poisoned by eating just a few grapes or raisins.

If your dog is suffering from grape poisoning, they may begin vomiting or having diarrhea within 24 hours ingesting.

Grape poisoning in dogs can come with a variety of other symptoms within the first 24 hours including increased thirst and increased urination.

If left untreated, these symptoms can evolve and lead to loss of appetite, lethargy or weakness, or decreased urination – a sign that the kidneys are shutting down. Other symptoms include:

What is the prognosis  following poisoning from grapes or raisins?

Prognosis depends on many factors, including how significant the ingestion is, how soon the patient was decontaminated, whether or not the patient has already developed kidney failure, how soon treatment was initiated, and whether the clinical signs and kidney function levels have improved since treatment began. If a dog only ate a few grapes or raisins (depending on the size of the dog) and received immediate treatment, the prognosis is excellent. If the kidneys are damaged and no urine is produced, the prognosis is poor, and death is likely. The kidneys have very little ability to regenerate or repair themselves. Once they are damaged, they will not function as well as they did before the episode. When in doubt, seek treatment right away by contacting your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for advice. Your veterinarian will estimate the prognosis for your dog based on symptoms, individual situation, and response to treatment.

Why are raisins, grapes, and currants toxic?

Currently, it is not known why these fruits are toxic. Over the years, there has been speculation as to whether the toxicity may be due to a mycotoxin (a toxic substance produced by a fungus or mold) or a salicylate (aspirin-like) drug that may be naturally found in the grape, resulting in decreased blood flow to the kidneys. More recently, it has been considered that tartaric acid may be the cause. However, to date, no specific toxic agent has been clearly identified. Since it is currently unknown why these fruits are toxic, any exposure should be a cause for potential concern.


Will my dog be okay if he ate one grape?

Can a Single Grape Kill a Dog? Unfortunately, even one grape/raisin toxicity can even be fatal. Ingesting the fruit could potentially lead to acute (sudden) kidney failure in dogs.

What should I do if my dog ate grape?

go to your vet immediately

A dog that has ingested grapes can become very poorly, starting with gastrointestinal signs that may possibly progress to acute renal failure – essentially, their kidneys will begin to shut down. This can ultimately be fatal if left untreated.

Will 1 raisin hurt a dog?

Even the ingestion of one single raisin or grape can be fatal to a dog. Consuming a grape or raisin can lead to acute (fast or sudden) kidney failure in dogs. They can very sick very fast!