Vitamin D is an essential nutrient for most animals, including humans and dogs. While humans and certain animals are able to synthesize Vitamin D from the sun via their skin, dogs mainly get Vitamin D from their diets. Although dogs need Vitamin D to survive and thrive, too much Vitamin D can be toxic to dogs.
Signs & Symptoms of Vitamin D Poisoning in Dogs
Symptoms of vitamin D poisoning can include:
That’s a pack of nasty symptoms your fur baby could develop just from eating a vitamin D pill or capsule. If you notice any of these signs and symptoms in your dog, it is an emergency situation, and you must get your canine companion to the vet as soon as possible.
Vitamin D Poisoning in Dogs
Your canine companion may not show any symptoms until about 12-24 hours after eating the vitamin D. However, he can have symptoms appear as long as 72 hours later.
Vitamin D poisoning causes a dog’s calcium and phosphorous levels to rise. This can cause issues with the kidney, heart, gastrointestinal system, or problems with the central nervous system. If left untreated, acute renal failure can develop, which leads to comma and death.
The supplement can also cause a condition called hypercalcemia, which causes an electrolyte abnormality.
Symptoms of Vitamin D Poisoning in Dogs
Can one vitamin D pill hurt a dog?
What would happen if my dog ate a vitamin D pill?
How much vitamin D is toxic to a dog?
It can take as little as a dose of 0.1 mg/kg to cause vitamin D poisoning. That’s about 0.45 mg per 10 pounds of body weight. The fatal dose is around 2 mg/kg, which equals about 9 mg in a 10-pound dog.