My Dog Ate Play Doh

Dogs, especially puppies, have a special talent to find things that they shouldn’t eat. Most adult dogs won’t eat inedible stuff like play-doh or your shoes, but when they’re young that might happen more often. It’s like having a small child at home that you always have to be watching out for. If you have play-doh, you’re likely to have an actual child as well, which can be more challenging to keep an eye on everyone.

So, if you’re going through something like “my dog ate play-doh, what to do now?” Play-doh is mainly made with salt. This is the main ingredient among other things, but this is the one you should worry about. Too much salt may be bad for dogs. It can overload their kidneys, which can cause pain, nausea, vomiting. Most of the time, you don’t need to worry. To be safe, you should induce vomiting.

Now, it’s important to keep in mind that the original play-doh has natural ingredients, which is great for you in this situation. It means that there’s a good chance that your dog’s organism will be able to handle it. Still, depending on a few variances, you may have to take your dog to the vet.

So, if you’re still worried about this, which you should, keep reading to find out. Below you can see how to make your dog throw up, what to do to help his body process this, and when to go to the vet.

What happens if your dog eats Play Doh?

Playdough (Play-Doh)—What is It?

There are generally two types of Play-Doh—commercially-made and homemade. Both of versions of the clay-like substance are non-toxic and are made with flour, food coloring, salt, and water.

While Playdough is non-toxic, the problem for dogs is that this substance is high in salt. Salt poisoning can be deadly for dogs.

Not only that, but Play-Doh can also cause an intestinal blockage if enough of the dough is eaten. This is especially dangerous if the dog has eaten a large quantity of the Playdough.

Symptoms To Watch Out For If Your Pet Has Ingested Play-Doh

If you aren’t 100 percent sure that your doggo has eaten Play-Doh, you can watch out for the following symptoms:

If your pet is displaying one or more of the symptoms listed above, the chances are it’s eaten these crafting clays and needs immediate medical attention.

Some sources on the internet may recommend a wait-and-watch approach, but if your pupper’s health is at risk – don’t take any chances.

Is The Quantity Too Much For His Size

In plain English, you should only worry about how much play-doh your dog ate for his size. Smaller dogs will have a problem digesting all that sodium. Larger breeds are usually more resistant. Although, you should worry if the quantity is too great no matter the size of the dog. The point is that if your dog is small and the quantity consumed was rather high, watch him closely for the next hours. If anything out of the ordinary happens, take him to the vet immediately.

Now, as much as dogs are curious and do eat a lot of things, they shouldn’t overconsume constantly. This can also be a sign of worms. Dogs do tend to eat weird, inedible stuff when they’re hungry or have parasites. If your dog is well-fed, you should investigate the parasite possibility. If you haven’t dewormed your dog recently, consider deworming your dog.

So, make sure to give him the best dewormer of the market for his size. It’s important to know how many pounds he weights. The Bayer Quad Chewable Dewormer is the best dewormer that you can find. It keeps your four-legged friend safe for a long time. Take a look at this great item here.

Large dogs not only have more restricted access to certain parts of the house, most of the time, but their digestive system also has an easier time processing all that sodium they’ve just consumed. Due to their size, they can absorb the sodium faster without causing problems or even nausea. This doesn’t mean that eating play-doh is safe for them.

If it’s too much, even a large breed will feel the impact. The flour is not a concern like the salt, but it’s still a concern. You should worry about your dog consuming large quantities of flour because it’s bad for their health. That’s why it’s important to get them to drink water.

So, make sure to give a lot of water for your dog to drink, and if possible, give them some hydrogen peroxide to drink as well.


Can dogs digest playdough?

A large dog that ingested a small quantity of Play-Doh should be okay. A small dog or any size that ingested a large quantity should be rushed to the vet as most of these kids clays contain salt, which can cause kidney problems or, in severe situations, salt poisoning.

How toxic is playdough?

It’s normal for small children to explore everything with their mouths, and play dough is no exception. Although it’s not meant to be eaten, most versions of play dough are nontoxic and should not be harmful in small quantities.