My Dog Ate Pork Rib Bones

Dogs and bones always seem to go hand in hand, and that’s what we thought. In fact, many kinds of dog treat even have that bone shape. Still, as much as we are familiar with the scene, you may feel surprised at how it can be a risk. So, you may ask:

My dog ate a rib bone, will he be OK? While many dogs eat bones, it doesn’t mean it’s safe. Rib bones are quite thick that it can even be difficult even for dogs. It can splinter, and the sharp edges can damage your pet’s internal organs. Thus, if your dog ate a rib bone, check for symptoms and take it to the vet if it shows any signs.

Contrary to what we believe, dogs won’t do well with bones. If you feed bones to your dogs, you put them at risk of many complications. If left unchecked, it can even put your pet’s life in danger.

In this article, we’ll tackle everything you need to know about bones, and it’s effects on dogs. This way, you can be confident your pet remains safe from incidents related to this matter.

What Can I Do to Help My Dog Pass a Rib Bone? If your dog swallowed rib bone, give him or her a piece of bread or a bulky dry dog food meal to help pass the bone. Bulky food will help surround the bone and help push the bone fragments through your dog’s digestive system and out of the body.

Why Aren’t Pork Bones Safe for Dogs?

Pork bones, whether raw or cooked, are likely to splinter and crack when your dog chews on them. Your dog might attempt to swallow small pieces of the pork bone, which could lead to choking, intestinal blockages, or damage to the esophagus or intestines. All of these conditions are extremely dangerous.

Because pork bones are relatively small, big dogs might attempt to swallow them whole, which is also very dangerous.

Don’t Give Your Dog Cooked Bones

Never give your dog cooked bones. They are soft and prone to splintering. Dog’s can’t tell when a bone is no longer safe, and it only takes a moment for them to cut their mouths, choke, or ingest hazardous, sharp pieces.

Can dogs die from eating rib bone?

Dogs could die from eating rib bone, incredibly if they choked or suffer from an intestinal blockage. All kinds of incidents related to eating bones are dangerous for dogs.

Thus, if left unchecked or untreated, it can take the life of your pet.

For instance, choking can lead to your pet’s death if you don’t attend to it as soon as possible.

Intestinal blockages need an operation or other complicated treatment to get solved.

Still, circumstances would vary from time to time, and it has a lot of factors to consider.

For instance, not all bones are equal. Some bones are more comfortable to chew, while others aren’t. Some bones tend to crumble, while others crack and produce sharp edges.

If your dog ate bird bones, it would be thin, full of air sacs, and therefore easy to break. However, rib bones coming from pigs or even bones from cows are massive.

In general, these are the following factors that can determine the seriousness of your pet’s incident.

  • The size of the bone
  • The type of bone
  • The size and health of your dog
  • The condition of your dog’s teeth
  • Your dog’s relative tendency to chew her food
  • If your dog’s symptoms are severe, it would be best to take it to the vet as soon as possible.