Most pesticides or insecticides (typically those that come in a spray can) are basic irritants to dogs and cats, and result in clinical signs of drooling, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. In general, these are usually not a large poisoning concern unless the dog or cat directly ingested the product from the container or bag or if a pet’s symptoms become persistent. That said, there are some rare types of pesticides that are mixed with dangerous other chemicals or insecticides (such as organophosphates or carbamates), which can be life-threatening when consumed.
If you think your dog or cat was exposed to a pesticide, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations.
The content of this page is not veterinary advice. A number of factors (amount of substance ingested, size of the animal, allergies, etc.) determine what is toxic to a particular pet. If you think your pet has eaten something potentially toxic, call Pet Poison Helpline or seek immediate veterinary treatment.
How long after spraying pesticides is it safe for pets?
However, a 2013 study showed that lawn chemicals remain on sprayed surfaces for at least 48 hours after application. So, to be safe, you really shouldn’t allow dogs (or children) on a chemically-treated lawn for at least 3 days after it’s been sprayed.
For Indoor use only. Spray crawling insects, infested areas or insect hiding places such as skirting boards, kitchen cupboards, hot water pipes, under sinks, hot water tanks and behind stoves. Spray these areas thoroughly from about 20-25cm from the surface.
Check that your dog is alert and bright-looking.
Immediately after ingesting a full ant trap or the substance found inside, check that your dog is bright-eyed and responsive. Tail wags and cheerful demeanor are both signs that your dog doesn’t need any immediate medical attention. Most importantly, take note of any sudden changes in behavior. If you notice a sudden onset of severe abdominal pain, vomiting, or weakness, give your veterinarian a call for an emergency appointment.
Your Dog Just Ate an Ant Trap: What Do You Do?
The first thing you’ll want to do when you discover your dog devouring an ant trap is to prevent the problem from getting any worse. Take the ant trap away if your dog is still chewing on it and remove any other ant traps that may be sitting around the house.
Then, grab the box the ant traps came in (if possible) and call your vet or the Pet Poison Helpline and follow the advice given. You can also jump on a live chat with a veterinarian from JustAnswer, who should be able to help you assess the situation.
Do not induce vomiting unless instructed to do so by a veterinary professional.
Is Raid ant Killer harmful to dogs?
How long is raid toxic to dogs?
What do I do if my dog ate ant poison?
How long does it take for a dog to show signs of poisoning?