My Dog Ate Rib Bones What Should I Do

Dogs and bones always seem to go hand in hand, and that’s what we thought. In fact, many kinds of dog treat even have that bone shape. Still, as much as we are familiar with the scene, you may feel surprised at how it can be a risk. So, you may ask:

My dog ate a rib bone, will he be OK? While many dogs eat bones, it doesn’t mean it’s safe. Rib bones are quite thick that it can even be difficult even for dogs. It can splinter, and the sharp edges can damage your pet’s internal organs. Thus, if your dog ate a rib bone, check for symptoms and take it to the vet if it shows any signs.

Contrary to what we believe, dogs won’t do well with bones. If you feed bones to your dogs, you put them at risk of many complications. If left unchecked, it can even put your pet’s life in danger.

In this article, we’ll tackle everything you need to know about bones, and it’s effects on dogs. This way, you can be confident your pet remains safe from incidents related to this matter.

If your dog swallowed rib bone, give him or her a piece of bread or a bulky dry dog food meal to help pass the bone. Bulky food will help surround the bone and help push the bone fragments through your dog’s digestive system and out of the body.

What to Do If Your Dog Ate a Rib Bone

If our dog has eaten a rib bone, the first thing to do is check the mouth and throat to ensure that there is no damage to the tongue or gums. If shards of rib bone get lodged in mouth tissues, it may lead to infection and interfere with your dog’s ability to maintain a healthy diet.

If there is no sign of trouble around the mouth, you should wait a couple of days to see if the rib bone passes without trouble. Hopefully, you should see bone shards reappear within 72 hours of consumption.

As you monitor your dog, you should also be on the lookout for any signs of discomfort or distress. If you notice any of the following symptoms, you should see your vet immediately:

  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Changes in appetite
  • Whimpering or pain, especially around the stomach
  • Dark, tar-like stools
  • Lethargy
  • Constipation
  • Respiratory issues
  • Your vet will examine your dog for any internal bleeding or blockages so that you can take appropriate action. In some cases, your dog may need emergency surgery to remove fragments of rib bone from the mouth, stomach, or intestines.

    My Dog Ate Rib Bones What Should I Do

    What if My Dog Ate a Rib Bone?

    Even if a dog is prevented from eating his human’s food, an eager pup might follow delicious smells to the garbage and take matters into his own paws.

    If you catch your dog in the act of eating leftover rib bones, try not to panic. Rib bones are not good for them, but dogs have robust digestive systems that are descended from those of wolves and other wild canines. Assess your dog’s behavior to see if he needs a vet visit.

    The first and most urgent response is to make sure your dog is not choking. Check that he is breathing clearly and easily, without gagging, dry heaving, or gasping.

    If your dog seems well, consider feeding him several slices of soft bread. This will pad out his digestive system, providing protection as the sharp shards of bone work their way through.

    After ensuring that your dog can breathe, inspect his mouth. A bone can break a dog’s tooth or cut his mouth or tongue, so look carefully for blood or broken teeth.

    These problems can be messy and painful, so catching them right away will allow you to get them treated as soon as possible.

    Even if your dog seems fine, keep a close eye on him for the next 24-48 hours. Bones that make their way into the digestive system are at risk of puncturing or getting stuck in the stomach.

    Damage to the stomach or intestines can lead to a bacterial infection called peritonitis. This condition can be hard to treat and deadly if left alone.

    If the rib bone causes damage to the dog, your dog’s abdomen may become sensitive to the touch. He might become lethargic and stop eating.

    Vomiting and bloody stool would also be cause for concern, demonstrating pain and a disruption in the digestive system.

    If your dog shows any of these behaviors in the period after eating a rib bone, watch him carefully and contact your vet. Even if your dog does not get an infection, a bone stuck in the digestive system can prevent a dog from eating or drinking.

    It is also possible for bones to get stuck in or scrape the colon, which is the passage to the dog’s rectum.

    Severe constipation can be very painful and will not go away without treatment. The damage might trigger bleeding from the rectum, which is harmful to your dog and can create a messy situation.

    Pork, the meat most commonly used for ribs, isn’t only problematic because of the bones. The only kind of pork that is safe for dogs to consume is cooked, unseasoned pork.

    Even if you are willing to cook up some safe pork, consider feeding your dog a small amount or offering chicken instead.

    Pork fat is hard for dogs to digest. Avoid giving your dog other forms of pork as well, such as sausage or ham. They are treated with huge amounts of salt, which is not healthy for dogs.

    The spices and ingredients that humans use to make their pork taste good are often hazardous for dogs to consume.

    Onions and garlic, some of the most popular vegetables, can release dangerous toxins into a dog’s blood. Your dog’s red blood cell count can go down, causing symptoms similar to anemia.

    Besides weakness, tiredness, and disinterest in eating, look out for vomiting and rapid panting. Keep your dog’s size in mind—large dogs are more likely to be okay with a small amount of onion or garlic than a small dog. If your pork is cooked with onion or garlic, avoid giving it to your dog.

    Salt and nutmeg are two spices commonly put on pork that can make your dog sick. Dogs are only meant to have a small amount of salt per day, so a salty snack can put them way over the limit.

    Excessive salt intake can lead to bloat, a deadly condition where the stomach swells and twists. Nutmeg can upset your dog’s stomach and make him very agitated by affecting his nervous system.

    Nutmeg has proved deadly to dogs in some cases. If you want to give your dog some pork, cook him a portion without spices or seasonings.

    While dogs are usually well built for consuming raw meat, raw pork contains dangerous bacteria for your dog. Just as raw pork is hazardous for humans and can infect them with parasites, dogs are also susceptible to these specific bacteria.

    Known as trichinella spiralis, this parasite can infect your dog and cause symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, tiredness, stiffness, and fever. Never give your dog raw pork. Cooked, unseasoned chicken is a great alternative that can actually calm your dog’s digestive tract.

    Dogs love bones, and for strong chewers, they can be a great way to keep them from destroying household items.

    They also provide healthy minerals for your dog and clean their teeth. If rib bones and other cooked bones are not safe for dogs, what kinds of bones are safe

    Can dogs die from eating rib bone?

    Dogs could die from eating rib bone, incredibly if they choked or suffer from an intestinal blockage. All kinds of incidents related to eating bones are dangerous for dogs.

    Thus, if left unchecked or untreated, it can take the life of your pet.

    For instance, choking can lead to your pet’s death if you don’t attend to it as soon as possible.

    Intestinal blockages need an operation or other complicated treatment to get solved.

    Still, circumstances would vary from time to time, and it has a lot of factors to consider.

    For instance, not all bones are equal. Some bones are more comfortable to chew, while others aren’t. Some bones tend to crumble, while others crack and produce sharp edges.

    If your dog ate bird bones, it would be thin, full of air sacs, and therefore easy to break. However, rib bones coming from pigs or even bones from cows are massive.

    In general, these are the following factors that can determine the seriousness of your pet’s incident.

  • The size of the bone
  • The type of bone
  • The size and health of your dog
  • The condition of your dog’s teeth
  • Your dog’s relative tendency to chew her food
  • If your dog’s symptoms are severe, it would be best to take it to the vet as soon as possible.


    Will my dog be okay after eating rib bones?

    As much as your dog might appreciate a spare rib bone, though, it can pose a serious health risk. While rib bones won’t always cause problems, any cooked bone has the potential to splinter as your dog chews it. Sharp bone shards can lead to a whole host of digestive issues that may prove fatal in some cases.

    What happens if a dog eats pork rib bones?

    “Even if the dog does not swallow the bone,” Liff says, “Ingesting the fatty tissue on the bone can cause vomiting and diarrhea, which can lead to dehydration, protein loss and other severe intestinal upset symptoms.” Consuming pork rib bones can also lead to pancreatitis, a life threatening illness associated with …

    Can dogs digest small rib bones?

    Short rib bones can be fed to your dog if they are uncooked. If they are cooked, do not feed them to your dog.