My Dog Ate Vitamin C Gummies

What is Vitamin C?

Vitamin C, also called ascorbic acid, helps our body tissues to heal, grow, and repair. It’s also involved in many body functions such as the creation of collagen, wound healing, the functioning of the immune system, and more.

This is a vitamin that’s not stored in the body, so overdose in humans is usually not a problem. When it comes to dogs, however, they can make their own vitamin C in the liver! However, there are times when a dog may benefit from vitamin C. They may need more vitamin C when sick or stressed.

But what happens if your dog eats too much vitamin C?

What are Gummy Vitamins?

Gummy vitamins are chewable vitamins that are similar to gummy candies. They’re a little bit gelatinous and comes in various flavors, shapes, and colors. Gummies are also one of the most popular vitamins for kids and adults. They’re also great for anyone who has trouble swallowing pills. You know how some vitamins are the size of horse pills! Well, who wouldn’t opt for a gummy in that case!

Most gummy vitamins are made with gelatin, corn starch, water, sugar, and added colorings. Flavors can include raspberry, lemon, orange, and cherry. One note about the ingredients—many gummies are made with sugar; however, many manufacturers are starting to use xylitol to sweeten gummy vitamins.

Can gummy vitamins make your dog sick?

It is not recommended to provide a daily vitamin C supplement to a dog, unless otherwise directed by a veterinarian. Because dogs naturally produce vitamin C, a supplement used long term can be detrimental to the natural production of the vitamin. Using vitamin C in a strong dose over a short period of time to help treat a specific ailment, such as an injury or infection, is appropriate and can be beneficial.


What happens if dogs eat vitamin C gummies?

B-complex vitamins can offer dogs a variety of benefits, including improved heart, skin, and digestive health. Vitamin C, niacin, biotin, and folic acid are also safe for dogs.

Will a vitamin C gummy hurt a dog?

Vitamin C is naturally produced by dogs. Some believe that because vitamin C is water soluble, it is not possible to overdose by using supplements; however, vitamin C supplements can present a danger to dogs if used inappropriately.

Can vitamin C make dogs sick?

Too much vitamin C, especially if given in one dose, will cause diarrhea in dogs.

Can a dog overdose on gummy vitamins?

Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs and xylitol poisoning in dogs is rising sharply. If xylitol is listed in the first five ingredients of a product, it’s usually trouble if a dog consumes it. Gummy vitamins for children are becoming one of the leading sources of xylitol poisoning in dogs.