My Pug Ate Chocolate Chip Cookies

My dog ate a chocolate chip cookie – now what? This guide will answer your common questions quickly so you can make the best decision for your pet.

The biggest question on your mind is likely whether or not you need to rush to the vet.

Unfortunately, there’s no cut-and-dry answer because it’s dependent upon your dog’s weight and the amount of chocolate they consumed.

The statistics are in your favor, as long as you properly assess the situation, and take action as soon as possible.

If you think your dog has eaten chocolate, or they have any of these symptoms, contact the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 or your veterinarian or emergency vet right away: Vomiting. Diarrhea. Increased body temperature.

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate Chip Cookies?

Chocolate chip cookies contain chocolate, which is poisonous to dogs. Luckily, the amount of chocolate in a cookie is usually small, but if the chocolate is dark chocolate or your dog eats several cookies, they could be bad for dogs. In addition, chocolate-chip cookies can contain other ingredients that could make them worse for dogs. Added raisins, nuts, or cocoa all make them more toxic. It is not recommended that you feed your dog chocolate chip cookies, as they can be poisonous.

My Pug Ate Chocolate Chip Cookies

When Should I Call the Vet?

It depends on the first two points, the type and quantity of chocolate consumed. If it’s a small amount of low-cocoa chocolate, you may not have anything to worry about. Give your vet a call and describe the situation in as much detail as possible. From there, they can give you your next step, whether that’s paying them a visit or just monitoring Fido for the next couple of days.

On the other hand, larger amounts and higher concentrations of cocoa may warrant some more immediate action. If you feel you have the time, asking your vet for the best course of action is always a good idea.

My Pug Ate Chocolate Chip Cookies

If your dog already seems to be in bad shape, you should be getting to an emergency vet as soon as you can. From there, your pup can get their stomach pumped, which should help mitigate some of the worst effects of the chocolate. Your furry friend will probably feel a bit out of it for a while, but don’t worry– they’ll bounce back soon!

How Many Chocolate Chips Does It Take To Hurt A Dog?

It depends entirely on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate they ingested. This is a good article to reference. It says,

  • “A 9-pound dog could be expected to exhibit symptoms of chocolate toxicity after eating 1 ounce of baking chocolate, 3 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, or 9 ounces of milk chocolate.
  • A 27-pound dog might have such symptoms after eating 3 ounces of baking chocolate, 9 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, and 27 ounces of milk chocolate.
  • A 63-pound dog might exhibit symptoms after eating 7 ounces of baking chocolate, 21 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, or 63 ounces of milk chocolate.”
  • FAQ

    Will a chocolate cookie hurt my dog?

    Chocolate is toxic to dogs because of a chemical called theobromine, along with caffeine. Dogs are unable to metabolize these chemicals the way humans can! The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more toxic and dangerous it is to your furry friend.

    What happens if a small dog eats a chocolate chip?

    Symptoms of dog chocolate poisoning include vomiting (which may include blood), diarrhoea, restlessness and hyperactivity, rapid breathing, muscle tension, incoordination, increased heart rate and seizures. The effect and signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs depend on the amount eaten and the size of the breed.