My Puppy Swallowed A Bully Stick

Bully sticks for dogs seem to be all the rage, but did you know what they really are? Beef or steer pizzle (penis)! So many people have no idea, and while it might be something that grosses you out, your dog certainly won’t complain. So maybe you’re thinking, why would you want to buy something like this? What are the benefits for your dog? And are there any risks?

In this article, we will explore both the benefits and the controversies of this unusual treat, so you can make an informed decision whether it’s a good choice for your dog.

If your dog did swallow a bully stick, you should always call your vet. Treatment for swallowing a bully stick can range from IV fluids, and an overnight watch, or your dog may need emergency life-saving surgery.

How Do I Prevent My Dog From Swallowing A Bully Stick

If your dog is prone to swallowing objects, its essential to take precautions when giving them bully sticks. One way to prevent your dog from eating a bully stick is to get the correctly sized chew. Having a natural chew thats the right size will make it more difficult for them to swallow the entire stick. There are also some bully stick holder toys that you can buy.

Finally, always supervise your dog while chewing on a bully stick and take it away if they start to show signs that they are going to swallow it or when it gets too small.

Some power chewers can easily break worn bully sticks, so regularly inspect your dogs chews. If you see any sharp edges or thin spots, throw the chew away and get a new one. Keep your dog safe and always supervise when they are chewing on anything.

Are Bully Sticks Digestible if Swallowed?

Yes, bully sticks are naturally digestible. However, theres more to it than that. If your dog has gastrointestinal problems, they may struggle with digesting pieces of a bully stick. Furthermore, if your dog swallowed a large part of a bully stick, it may cause some problems for your pup.

If your dog swallows a large broken chunk of a bully stick, it could get stuck in their throat or intestines and cause an obstruction and is a choking hazard. This is a severe condition that would require surgery to fix.

Ensure that your dog is supervised while playing with a bully stick and have fresh, clean water for them.

What can happen if my dog swallows a bully stick?

If your dog swallows a particularly large chunk of their bully stick, they will most probably okay. However, there is risk of choking or getting an internal blockage, both of which are emergencies and require immediate action – so let’s take a closer look.

Signs of choking in dogs include:

  • Struggling to breathe
  • Gagging
  • Looking panicked
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Drooling
  • If your dog starts to choke, open their mouth and remove the stick if you can see it. If you cannot see it, you’ll need to perform the Heimlich maneuver to dislodge and remove the bully stick.

    To perform the Heimlich maneuver on a smaller dog, gently pick them up, put them on your lap, and lay them onto their back. Using the palm of your hand, apply pressure beneath the ribcage and push upwards and inwards firmly five times in a row. Then, roll them onto their side and open their mouth to see if the stick is visible. Repeat as necessary.

    To perform the Heimlich on a medium or large-sized dog, try to get them to stand or sit up and put your arms around them from behind. Clasp your hands together to make a fist underneath their ribcage and push upwards and inwards five times in a row. Then, check the mouth to clear it and repeat if necessary.

    If they are laying down and can’t get up, should put one of your hands on their back and use the other one to push upwards and inwards on their stomach.

    Signs of internal blockages in dogs include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea or inability to poop
  • Lethargy
  • Rapid breathing
  • Loss of appetite
  • Excessive thirst and dehydration
  • Lip licking
  • Bloating
  • Pacing
  • Inability to get comfortable
  • Hunching over and whining in pain
  • An internal blockage almost always requires surgical removal by a vet. Some of these signs can simply be symptoms of an upset stomach, which your dog can just as easily suffer from as a result of eating too much bully stick, partcularly if they have a sensitive system. However, if your dog displays any of these symptoms after swallowing their bully stick, it’s important that you call your vet as soon as possible. They will be able to diagnose and treat your dog accordingly after an examination and possibly a scan.


    Should I be worried if my dog swallowed a bully stick?

    Yes, Bully Sticks are easily Digestible when swallowed. For complete explanation, bully sticks are protein treats which are easily Digestible and consumed by dogs in big quantities. Though bully sticks can be easily digested, it is vital for dog owners to supervise their dog properly because dogs react differently.

    Can bully sticks cause intestinal blockage?

    If you believe your dog has swallowed a bully stick, you should contact your vet. Bully sticks can be digestible, but they can also cause blockages if swallowed whole.

    Can a dog eat an entire bully stick?

    Beware the tail-end of the bully stick

    But as dogs chew the stick down, they increase the risk of choking on the tail end of the treat. If that little nub gets swallowed whole, your dog could choke or develop an intestinal blockage – both of which are serious medical emergencies.