Dogs are highly curious animals. Although their curiosity doesn’t measure up to that of cats, dogs are just curious enough to check out anything in the house that looks incredibly attractive. And that includes paper towels.
In the process of checking out paper towels, your pooch might end up eating them. As a caring pet parent, it’s natural to be worried if you realize that your dog accidentally ate paper towel. But what happens if a dog eats a paper towel?
Ring your veterinarian
Once you have done some detective work and figured out what, and how much, your dog ate; when they ate it, and how they are looking at present: call your vet. If they’re not open, call your nearest open veterinary clinic, which may be an emergency clinic.
They will ask you the questions that have been mentioned above so they can provide the best care possible for your dog. If it is a small amount of clean kitchen roll or toilet paper, you may not need to attend. However, if your dog ate a large amount of paper towel, has eaten any amount of paper towel with a harmful substance, or is unwell, vomiting, or having diarrhea, your vet will probably want to see your dog immediately.
We wouldn’t recommend trying to make your pet sick at home. Here are some reasons why:
Step 1: Gather Facts
Firstly, try to estimate how much tissue might have been eaten. This is difficult when the paper consumed was shredded. You should also check whether anything was on the tissue that could be dangerous.
They ate the paper towels over 4 hours ago
If your dog ate the paper towels over 4 hours ago, the material may have already moved past their stomach. At this point your veterinarian will either suggest x-rays to look for any evidence of obstructive patterns, or offer you guidance on how to properly monitor them.
This will vary greatly based on your dog’s size, how much they ate, and if their x-rays show any sign of intestinal blockage.
What should I do if my dog eats a paper towel?
Can paper cause blockage in dogs?