What do I do if my dog ate Gorilla Glue? A Step-by-Step Guide

Dr. Nicholas graduated with honors from The Royal Veterinary College in London, England and completed his Internship at the Animal Medical Center in New York City. He currently lives in the Pacific Northwest.

Our mission is to help save dogs and cats’ lives through our educational content. To support our efforts, this page may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission for qualifying purchases – at no cost to you.

Dr. Nicholas spent many years as an emergency and general practice veterinarian obsessed with keeping pets safe and healthy. He is the author of Preventive Vet’s 101 Essential Tips book series.

“She had vomited a few times and the owners found the chewed up bottle,” the animal hospital wrote on Facebook. “Apparently it has a sweet smell/taste dogs like. Doc had to go in and it had basically made a mold of her stomach and doc had to break it up to get it out.”

The animal hospital added, “Be careful where you store your gorilla glue or any glue. Just be sure it is put up after use.”

Just a few drops of the stuff would have been enough to seal off the animal’s esophagus, yet the small dog somehow managed to ingest at least half an ounce.

The veterinarian managed to help a Jack Russell Terrier avoid a slow and painful death by operating on the dog and removing the hardened substance from its stomach lining. The glue coated the dog’s stomach, and, as WLBT reports, had to be broken off in pieces.

But it’s a warning to other pet parents to make sure the glue remains out of reach.

Health Hazards Associated with Gorilla Glue

Gorilla Glue and Elmer’s ProBond are popular polyurethane-based adhesives that, when ingested, can cause serious problems — including death — if not properly diagnosed and treated. While classified as “non-toxic,” these glues contain a catalyzing agent called Diphenylmethane Diisocyanate (MDI).

When MDI-based adhesives come in contact with water, they expand rapidly and create a hard foam material. The rate of this reaction is enhanced in warm and acidic environments, such as the stomach, which is why ingestion of Gorilla Glue most commonly results in a gastrointestinal obstruction. The reaction also produces heat, which can result in secondary complications such as thermal burns to the esophagus and stomach, which can also be life threatening.

If a dog or person has ingested Gorilla Glue, adverse effects may include loss of appetite, restlessness, difficulty breathing, vomiting, or a change in behavior indicating pain. Signs generally develop within 15 minutes, but can occur up to 20 hours following ingestion.

The glue can expand and harden within minutes, and stomach obstruction or injury to the esophagus can occur while in the process of vomiting, which is why it’s important not to force it. It should also be noted that ingestion of as little as two ounces will likely cause obstruction in a medium-sized, 50-pound dog.

Having a dog is way easier with a pack by your side. Wanna join ours? Get the subscription designed just for dog parents. (It’s pretty much the best thing to happen since poop bags.)

What Happens When Dogs Eat Gorilla Glue®