What do I do if my dog eats yarn? Get Your Pet Thinking

How long does it take a dog to pass yarn?

After two hours, the object will have passed into the intestines and vomiting won’t help. Most objects small enough to pass through the digestive system may be eliminated with the feces and cause no problems. Feed a bulky meal of dry food to cushion stones or other heavy objects, and help them move on out.

Because one end of the string is anchored in place, the intestine can’t pass the string, so the “intestine crawls up the string instead” to try to digest it, Dr. Berg explains. “The string can then literally saw through the intestine and cause a perforation.”

What happens if my dog eats thread?

If you think your dog has eaten strings from a rope toy, you should call your veterinarian right away. Dogs must often undergo surgery if their intestines become cinched or blocked by strands from a rope toy. Tragically, many pet owners don’t recognize the problem until it’s too late to save the animal.

Commonly Swallowed Objects

Veterinary pet insurance claims adjusters ranked the top 10 most common items surgically removed from pets’ gastrointestinal tracts. The most common item is socks, followed by underwear, pantyhose, rocks, balls, chew toys, corn cobs, bones, hair ties/ribbons, and sticks. Most items tend to be owner-scented objects, but the list doesn’t stop there.

Whole toys or parts of toys, jewelry, coins, pins, erasers, and paper clips are often swallowed. String, thread (with or without the needle), fishing hooks and lines, Christmas tree tinsel, and yarn are extremely dangerous. String from turkey roasts is particularly appealing so watch out for those holiday food hazards. And for puppies able to crunch up the object, pieces of wood or bone prove hazardous. Even too much of a rawhide chew can stop up his innards. Puppies may even eat rocks.

Never pull on the visible end of the string—either out the mouth or hanging out the puppys rectum. String and thread are often attached to a needle, fishhook, or organ thats embedded in tissue further down the digestive tract. Pulling the string at your end could further injure the intestines and prove fatal.

Dog Eats a Sock! Do this

Pantyhose, golf balls, socks, rocks, underwear, baby bottle nipples, peach pits, plastic gadgets, wood glue, magnets. No, it’s not leftover refuse found in a pile at the town dump. It’s just some of the items swallowed by dogs and then retrieved from their GI tracts by Tufts veterinarians — on a regular basis!

“Dogs will literally swallow almost anything,” says Cummings School surgeon John Berg, DVM. “I had one dog whose owners had decorative pea gravel rocks around their pool. The dog swallowed, like, 1,500 of them. We had to perform an operation to takethem out.

“Corn cobs are another one,” Dr. Berg says. “Usually it’s not a whole cob. It’s after someone has cut it into segments.

“Those dogs most inclined to swallow things are young,” notes Dr. Berg. “Be most alert to this possibility early in a dog’s life. They like playing with things, are curious about the world, and investigate with their mouths. That’s when they get into trouble.

“We do occasionally see older dogs swallow foreign objects, too,” Dr. Berg says. “And some dogs are chronic repeaters. Don’t think a dog will learn from his experience and not do it again. We’ve seen dogs go back to surgery multiple times for foreign object removal.”

Following, a list of objects that are dangerous to swallow, very dangerous, and — contrary to popular opinion — safe.