What happens if a dog eats rusty metal? Find Out Here

It is not uncommon that we see a lot of dogs locked in old and rusty cages. Some are also wearing metal collars tied to equally rusting chains.

But do you know that frequent licking of our dogs connote a clinical condition? It is an obsessive behavior that is known as pica. This condition is also seen in humans and it is characterized by uncontrollable cravings for the oddest things. Some studies show that it is related to mineral deficiency. Licking in dogs may also be a way of familiarizing with his new environment or new additions to his usual place.

Just like licking or ingesting rust, drinking rust water is not bad for your dog’s health. But when water is rusty, you may suspect other contaminants in it. Bacteria and other harmful organisms thrive on dirty water, so it is safer to always check what our furry babies drink.

Most possibly the dog may have foraged on unattended iron supplements, fertilizers, birth control pills, hand and foot warmers, oxygen absorber sachets, or heat patches.

This makes it doubly possible that dogs may also be getting rusts from their eating or drinking bowls. But should it be a cause of alarm that our furry babies are ingesting rust?

Can a dog die from eating metal?

The exception to allowing small objects pass are swallowed metal objects like coins or batteries. DON’T WAIT, get your puppy seen immediately. Stomach acids interact with these metal objects and cause zinc or lead poisoning. String is another dangerous object when swallowed and requires you to seek professional help.

What if my dog eats rusty metal?

Iron toxicity happens because your dog consumes an excess amount of iron relative to their body weight. When this happens, the excess iron can seep into the bloodstream and wreak havoc on your dog’s tissues and organs. … Insoluble forms of iron—including iron oxide (rust)—are not considered to be toxic if consumed.

Is Rust Bad For Dogs? | DogVela