What Happens If Dog Eats Toothpaste

Your dog’s dental health is important and maybe you’ve already shared your toothpaste with your pooch, thinking of all the benefits that good teeth brushing can bring them (for example, getting rid of that bad breath that dogs always have)!

Unfortunately, if your dog ate toothpaste they should be monitored because the ingredients in our toothpaste are toxic to them, and in some cases, they can provoke severe reactions and even be deadly.

While xylitol is considered safe for people, it can cause life-threatening hypoglycemia in dogs. Hypoglycemia can develop in a matter of minutes, and if dogs eat a large quantity of toothpaste, this can lead to the death of liver cells, causing liver failure.

Treatment of Toothpaste Poisoning in Dogs

Whether or not your veterinarian will induce vomiting depends on the amount of xylitol ingested and the time since ingestion. If your dog is asymptomatic, vomiting will likely be induced. In either case, whether visible symptoms are present or not, your dog will be hospitalized in order to start intravenous therapy.

The levels of phosphorous, liver enzymes, blood coagulation, and bilirubin concentration will be assessed every 24 hours for at least three days. Liver function will be checked carefully throughout your pet’s hospital stay. The blood glucose will need to be monitored closely, with a verification of the level by the veterinarian or vet technician every hour (sometimes two hours) for a total duration of twelve hours, until the level has been corrected.

Liver protectants, antioxidants, and vitamin E may be administered. Plasma and/or blood transfusions may be required if coagulopathy is present.

Worried about the cost of Toothpaste Poisoning treatment?

Pet Insurance covers the cost of many common pet health conditions. Prepare for the unexpected by getting a quote from top pet insurance providers.

Symptoms of Toothpaste Poisoning in Dogs

Pet owners may benefit from the use of xylitol in their diets, or oral care. However, use of this product must be avoided around our canine family members. If your dog consumes toothpaste, you may see the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy lack of muscle control and coordination (ataxia)
  • Weakness
  • Malaise
  • Seizure
  • Collapse
  • Black tarry stool
  • Coma and eventually death
  • Its important to note, there have been cases where dogs (and other common house pets) have not shown visible symptoms until liver failure occurred.

    How long does it take for xylitol poisoning symptoms to show up?

    A lot of it will depend on the size of your dog and how much toothpaste he ate. however, poisoning symptoms (shaking, vomiting, disorientation, etc) will show up anywhere from 10-60 minutes from the time he’s eaten it. It’s important to make you don’t wait for symptoms to show up, though. As soon as you’ve discovered that he’s chomped his way into a tube of toothpaste, grab him and get into a car to get to your vet (take the toothpaste with you, too).


    How much toothpaste is toxic to dog?

    Xylitol toxicity can occur at a dosage of 100 mg per kg of body weight. A typical toothpaste may contain 5 – 35% xylitol by volume. Hence, a standard 100 gm toothpaste tube is enough to make your dog very sick.

    What if my dog eats a little bit of toothpaste?

    The most important thing to remember about brushing your dog’s teeth is don’t use human toothpaste on your dog. The reason? Many human toothpastes contain Xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is toxic to dogs. Xylitol can cause blood sugar drops in dogs, as well as potential liver damage.

    Is it OK for dogs to eat dog toothpaste?

    Hello, Some toothpaste do contain xylitol that can cause your dog to have very low blood sugar. If your dog starts to act lethargic or continues to vomit, it would be best to see a vet. If he only ate a very small amount, you may not see any problems.