What happens if my dog eats toothpaste? Find Out Here

Causes of Toothpaste Poisoning in Dogs

The difference in the toxicity of xylitol between the human species and the canine species is quite remarkable. A human can ingest up to 130g/day of the sweetener with the effect of diarrhea at most, and no other abnormalities. If a dog consumes >0.1 gram/kg of xylitol, acute hypoglycemia can occur in less than half an hour. In canines, xylitol is almost completely absorbed into the blood extremely rapidly and this results in a sudden drop in glucose levels. Further, severe complications can occur. The death of liver tissue leading to complete liver failure can result, which is thought to be caused by elevated liver enzymes and the fact that the xylitol depletes adenosine triphosphate, which is necessary for normal cellular function.

Treatment of Toothpaste Poisoning in Dogs

Whether or not your veterinarian will induce vomiting depends on the amount of xylitol ingested and the time since ingestion. If your dog is asymptomatic, vomiting will likely be induced. In either case, whether visible symptoms are present or not, your dog will be hospitalized in order to start intravenous therapy.

The levels of phosphorous, liver enzymes, blood coagulation, and bilirubin concentration will be assessed every 24 hours for at least three days. Liver function will be checked carefully throughout your pet’s hospital stay. The blood glucose will need to be monitored closely, with a verification of the level by the veterinarian or vet technician every hour (sometimes two hours) for a total duration of twelve hours, until the level has been corrected.

Liver protectants, antioxidants, and vitamin E may be administered. Plasma and/or blood transfusions may be required if coagulopathy is present.

Worried about the cost of Toothpaste Poisoning treatment?

Pet Insurance covers the cost of many common pet health conditions. Prepare for the unexpected by getting a quote from top pet insurance providers.

Symptoms of Toothpaste Poisoning in Dogs

Pet owners may benefit from the use of xylitol in their diets, or oral care. However, use of this product must be avoided around our canine family members. If your dog consumes toothpaste, you may see the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy lack of muscle control and coordination (ataxia)
  • Weakness
  • Malaise
  • Seizure
  • Collapse
  • Black tarry stool
  • Coma and eventually death
  • Its important to note, there have been cases where dogs (and other common house pets) have not shown visible symptoms until liver failure occurred.

    My Dog Ate Toothpaste – What Should I Do?

    [et_pb_section bb_built=”1″ fullwidth=”on” custom_padding_last_edited=”on|desktop” _builder_version=”3.12″ background_color=”rgba(255,255,255,0)” custom_padding_tablet=”50px|0|50px|0″ next_background_color=”#FFFFFF”][et_pb_fullwidth_post_title admin_label=”Post Header” comments=”off” featured_=”off” text_color=”light” text_background=”on” text_bg_color=”rgba(0,0,0,0.3)” module_id=”PostHeader” _builder_version=”3.12″ title_font=”|700||on|||||” title_font_size=”3em” title_font_size_phone=”2em” title_font_size_last_edited=”on|phone” title_letter_spacing=”4px” title_line_height=”1.2em” meta_font=”|300||on|||||” meta_font_size_tablet=”2vw” meta_font_size_phone=”3vw” meta_font_size_last_edited=”off|tablet” meta_letter_spacing=”2px” meta_line_height=”1.6em” background_color=”rgba(255,255,255,0)” parallax=”on” text_orientation=”center” use_border_color=”off” background_=”http://dawgiebowl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Header–Human-Toothpaste-is-Toxic-for-Dogs-1.jpg” title_font_size_tablet=”2.6em” /][/et_pb_section][et_pb_section bb_built=”1″ admin_label=”section” _builder_version=”3.12″ next_background_color=”#ffffff” prev_background_color=”rgba(255,255,255,0)”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row” use_custom_width=”on” custom_width_px=”890px” custom_padding=”80px|||” padding_mobile=”on” column_padding_mobile=”on” parallax_method_1=”off” _builder_version=”3.12″ background_size=”initial” background_position=”top_left” background_repeat=”repeat”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Intro Text” text_orientation=”justified” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid” background_position=”top_left” background_repeat=”repeat” background_size=”initial” _builder_version=”3.12″]

    “My dog has perfect oral hygiene. He brushes his teeth daily. I love him so much. We both even share the same toothpaste.” While it may seem like an absolutely harmless, rather adorable habit, toothpaste meant for humans could prove fatal for your pet. Maintaining your pooch’s oral hygiene is great. But NEVER use the same toothpaste as yours.[/et_pb_text][et_pb_code admin_label=”Social Sharing Code” _builder_version=”3.12″ saved_tabs=”all” global_module=”3531″][rrssb buttons=”facebook, twitter, whatsapp, gplus, pinterest, linkedin, email”][/et_pb_code][et_pb_text admin_label=”Body” text_orientation=”justified” use_border_color=”off” background_position=”top_left” background_repeat=”repeat” background_size=”initial” _builder_version=”3.12″ module_id=”bodytext”]

    Toothpastes contain a substance called Xylitol. It’s what gives the sweet taste to your toothpaste. While it’s completely safe and arguably healthy for hoomans, it’s absolutely toxic for dogs. Xylitol is almost 100 times more toxic than chocolate for dogs. Xylitol toxicity can occur at a dosage of 100 mg per kg of body weight. A typical toothpaste may contain 5 – 35% xylitol by volume. Hence, a standard 100 gm toothpaste tube is enough to make your dog very sick.