What happens if you put bleach on a dog? Here’s the Answer

Causes of Bleach Poisoning in Dogs

Your dog is no different from other dogs that love to chew on plastic toys and think that they can put whatever they want in their mouths. Unfortunately, though, this only makes your dog prone to ingesting toxic materials, most of which could result in terrible side effects and sometimes, fatal results, if not immediately treated.

Poisoning due to inhalation of fumes or ingestion of bleach can cause effects such as aspiration pneumonia, blood serum changes, kidney damage, corrosivity of the gastrointestinal tract, and blood coagulation abnormalities.

Treatment of Bleach Poisoning in Dogs

When you take the dog to the clinic or emergency hospital, your veterinarian may induce vomiting, or the stomach may be pumped using a method known as gastric lavage.

Activated charcoal may be administered as a way to bind the toxins.

After this, there are several ways that your veterinarian will introduce treatment. The immediate treatment is to flush the area that is most exposed. Your veterinarian may also administer fluid therapy, ulcer medication for possible stomach burn and of course, supportive care for other symptoms.

Your veterinarian will use water to wash out the excess bleach from the mouth and fur. Even though this might seem simple, the veterinarian may also administer milk to soothe the stomach and dilute the ingested bleach.

Worried about the cost of Bleach Poisoning treatment?

Pet Insurance covers the cost of many common pet health conditions. Prepare for the unexpected by getting a quote from top pet insurance providers.

Diagnosis of Bleach Poisoning in Dogs

Once you take your dog to the veterinarian, you can expect that the goal is to immediately identify the poison in order to assess the contents. To do this, the veterinarian may induce vomiting and collect a sample of it in a plastic bag. If you administered any medication to your dog, you should take that along with you so the veterinarian can read the labels to see what is contained in it. If your dog has received burns to the mouth, it might take several hours to notice this. The stomach or esophagus may also be burned by the bleach. This may not be visible until an internal examination is done.

Bleach Poisoning in Dogs – an everyday danger

I found this great article on the Pet Rescue Report web site that I wanted my readers to know about not using bleach on your pet.

If you use bleach to sanitize your dog’s paws after a walk, you should rethink this. Exposure to bleach through ingestion, breathing or touching is extremely toxic for dogs and can lead to severe burns or internal corrosion proving fatal to your best friend.

According to Pet Poison Helpline, it all depends on the type of bleach the pet is exposed. The majority of cases are regular household bleach, which is an irritant but not a corrosive agent. Some reported cases include severe lesions of the skin, down into the esophagus and into the stomach; all of these injuries could take months to heal.

Even non-chlorine bleach (color-safe bleach) can be dangerous because it contains hydrogen peroxide. This may cause vomiting in addition to skin irritations. Hydrogen peroxide can be used to clean a dog’s wounds only once, and it is not to be used repeatedly.

“Some dog breeds like Pomeranians will turn their nose up at bleach after tasting it. Labradors, however, might down the entire bucket. Cats are more like Pomeranians, but they could experience bleach poisoning if they walk on a bleach spill and lick their paws afterward,” stated Dr. Lynn Hovda, the director of veterinary services for the Pet Poison Helpline.

As to your dog’s paws after a walk and preventing the spread of COVID-19, veterinarians recommend using all-natural grooming aids to wipe away dirt and to clean in between their toes. For a low-cost cleaner, use a paper towel or washcloth, mix with a little dog shampoo and water and make sure to wipe off thoroughly. Any mud or debris, you may need to actually wash your dog’s feet – use the sink or a sprayer in the bathtub.

Remember a dog is very likely to lick their paws after they have been exposed to anything irritating, so make sure to clean the toes and pads very carefully and to fully rinse.

For dogs with long hair, it is recommended to keep the hair between the toes and pads trimmed by a professional groomer to prevent the accumulation of dirt. Make sure to always check your dog for cuts, abrasions and blisters. Even if an injury starts out as minor, it could quickly become infected if not cleaned and cared for properly.

Commercial products safe for your dog includes baby wipes IF they are labeled safe for pet. Feel free to upgrade to a warm, soapy washcloth.

If you have questions about pet care you may contact Dr. Norette L. Underwood of the Trumann Animal Clinic at [email protected]