What should I do if my dog drinks motor oil? Here’s the Answer

My dog ate cooking oil. What do I do?

Lets say youre in the kitchen drying chicken and you leave the room only to return and discover that your dog ate the cooking grease. This probably isnt as bad as if your dog ate oil for an engine. PetCoach says gastrointestinal upset will be likely. Vomiting and/or diarrhea will likely occur.

If it doesnt seem serious, try withholding food and keeping him at home. However, if you notice greasy diarrhea, you will want to get him checked out. When it seems like he can eat again, try giving him a bland diet of plain foods, like boiled chicken and plain white rice. Pancreatitis is a more serious concern that needs to be checked out by a vet. Pancreatitis symptoms include lethargy, loss of appetite, or abdominal pain.

If you believe your dog drank motor oil or ingested something else that is harmful or toxic, call the pet poison helpline at (855) 764-7661.

Always check with your veterinarian before changing your pet’s diet, medication, or physical activity routines. This information is not a substitute for a vet’s opinion.

What is Motor Oil?

Motor oil is an engine lubricant, which contains additives to help keep the engine in good shape. The additives and the oil keep the engine from becoming damaged from high friction rates and wear on moving parts. It also keeps the engine free of sludge and other debris.

But what happens if a dog drinks motor oil? Will the motor oil make the dog sick?

Unfortunately, motor oil is highly toxic to dogs. If your dog has had a small lick of motor oil, chances are he will be OK. However, if your dog has had a larger drink of motor oil, then he could become very sick.

Types of Engine Oil Poisoning to Dogs

What should I do if my dog drinks motor oil?

There are three ways for a dog to be poisoned by motor oil; skin contact, indigestion, and inhalation.

  • Skin contact: putting motor oil on dogs to cure mange is an old wives tale. It does not treat the dog’s skin but causes redness and irritation.
  • Inhalation: breathing engine oil can cause lung damage and eventually result in death.
  • Ingestion: it may look weird, but in reality, dogs find many things appealing. In turn, they can drink engine oil too. Drinking engine oil can result in weight loss, weakness and vomiting.
  • Read more about engine oil toxicity here.

    What to do if my dog drank motor oil? | #petqueries

    Petroleum hydrocarbon toxicosis is a severe and disease-like reaction that occurs when a dog is exposed to refined petroleum oil products, or ingests products of this type.

    Petroleum products that commonly poison small animals are fuels, solvents, lubricants, and waxes, as well as some pesticides and paints that have a petroleum base. Petroleum products like benzene and mineral spirits are more likely to be inhaled into the lungs, causing chemical pneumonitis, a life-threatening condition in which the petroleum product spreads all over the surface of the lungs, causing inflammation. Products that have an aromatic, ring-like chemical structure, such as benzene, are most likely to cause systemic toxicity (throughout the body).

    Putting petroleum products like gasoline or kerosene on a dog’s skin, or near its mouth, will poison it. Dogs are sometimes exposed to these products through exposure to accidental spills, and sometimes people will put gasoline, or other solvents, on a dog to remove something that has gotten onto its skin or hair, such as paint and other sticky substances.

    Do not induce vomiting with this type of poisoning, as the substance may do more harm coming back through the esophagus than it did going down. Or, your dog could breath some of the toxin into its lungs, causing aspiration pneumonia.

    Cats are also susceptible to petroleum hydrocarbon toxicosis. If you would like to learn more about how this condition affects cats, please visit this page in the PetMD health library.

    You will need to give a thorough history of your dogs health, including a background history of symptoms, and possible incidents that might have led to this condition. The history you provide may give your veterinarian clues as to which organs are being affected by the toxin, as well as to be able to rule out other toxicities, such as ethylene glycol or drug exposure. If you can take a sample of your dog’s vomit to your veterinarian, treatment can possibly be administered with more immediacy.

    A complete blood profile will be conducted, including a chemical blood profile, a complete blood count, a urinalysis, and an electrolyte panel. Your veterinarian will test vomit or stomach contents for petroleum distillates. Some animals develop aspiration pneumonia from inhalation of a petroleum product. Your veterinarian will take X-ray s of the chest to look for evidence of inflammation and pneumonia, so that it can be treated immediately.

    Your veterinarian will give your dog activated charcoal to decontaminate and neutralize the toxin. If your dog ingested the petroleum products recently, a stomach lavage (wash) will also be performed. Causing the dog to vomit is usually not wise under these circumstances, as the dog may contract aspiration pneumonia, a potential and very serious side effect of vomiting.

    In all cases of uncomplicated petroleum hydrocarbon ingestion (i.e., not contaminated with some other, more toxic substance), the primary goal is to minimize the risk of aspiration into the dogs lungs. Your veterinarian may give your dog oxygen therapy, depending on the health of its lungs when it arrives at the veterinary hospital. If your dog had petroleum hydrocarbons on its skin or fur, it will be bathed at the hospital, and possibly given topical antibiotics to prevent infection of the skin due to irritation.

    Keep all petroleum products and petroleum-based products out of the your dogs reach, preferably in a locked or childproof cabinet, to prevent accidental poisoning. If your dog shows any signs of respiratory distress at home after it is released from the hospital, such as an increased breathing rate, panting, coughing, etc., call your veterinarian immediately and take your dog to a veterinary hospital for emergency treatment.

    Get practical pet health tips, articles, and insights from our veterinary community delivered weekly to your inbox.