Why do greenies make dogs sick? Simple and Effective Tips

Causes of Greenies Allergies in Dogs

Determining whether your dog has an allergy or is just intolerant of dental chews or pill pockets like Greenies can be difficult to diagnose. An allergy affects the immune system and is usually triggered after your dog has eaten a product such as Greenies treats or dental chews before, because it is the previous and continued exposure that produces the allergic reaction. On the other hand, Greenies products intolerance affects the digestive system and will happen the first time (and every time) your dog eats Greenies.

Diagnosis of Greenies Allergies in Dogs

Allergies in dogs are difficult to diagnose, especially food allergies, due to the fact that almost all dog foods and treats have multiple ingredients. The first thing the veterinarian will do when attempting to diagnose your pet’s symptoms is a physical examination, checking your dog’s overall condition and demeanor. The veterinarian will check body weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration rate, breath sounds, reflexes, skin condition, and a thorough examination of the eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. Laboratory tests, such as a complete blood count (CBC), blood chemistry profile, electrolyte and glucose levels, urinalysis, and fecal examination will be done to rule out any underlying disease or illness. The veterinarian may also want to examine a skin sample under a microscope to check for a bacterial or fungal infection.

To test for allergies, the most effective way is to use the elimination diet. For this you need to take away all foods and treats you normally feed your dog and replace them with new ones that your veterinarian suggests or prescribes. You will try each food for several weeks until the allergen is found. Your veterinarian may also prescribe a hydrolyzed diet, in which the protein is made into smaller sizes that can be absorbed so it does not set off an allergic reaction.

Can a dog eat a mint?

While your dog may love mint, it is important to not allow him to eat too many mint leaves from your yard or to give him mints created for human consumption. While most mint is not toxic to dogs, English Pennyroyal is and should always be avoided.

Are Greenies safe for dogs?

Brendan McKiernan, a veterinarian at Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital. He has seen many dogs, made sick after eating Greenies. He says some dogs just can’t digest them. When you take warm water and soak a more traditional dog biscuit (one made by the same company that makes Greenies), says Dr.